As I walked into our staff lounge this morning to fill up my water bottle, I happened to glance in the vending machine to see if it magically had anything new to offer. But no – it was the same old chips, candy, cookies, bear claws, etc. And we wonder why Americans are so fat!!! Why can’t vending machines in the workplace actually stock healthy food for a change?
Although I eat breakfast every day and typically bring my own snacks, sometimes I’m forced to head to the vending machine to avoid significant hunger pangs. And, it’s during these rare times where I wish I had healthier selections of food to choose from.
If I had my way, the vending machine in my office would:
- a) Have individual hot/cold sections that kept foods super fresh, and
- b) Be restocked every few days or at least once a week to ensure freshness.
I would also make sure the machine was stocked with all of my healthy favorites like…
Jennifer’s Top 11 Healthy Vending Machine Snacks (in my dreams!)
- Fresh Granola with walnuts and almonds
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Mexican snack pack of fresh guacamole, salsa, and tortilla chips
- Fresh pears and apples
- Hummus and baby carrots
- Tillamook white cheddar cheese and whole grain crackers
- All-natural creamy peanut butter
- Old-fashioned oats (not the instant kind)
- Dr. Kracker flatbreads
- Low-cal popcorn
- Tazo Awake Tea
Come ON people, how hard can it be???
So, if you had your way, what healthy snacks would you include in your office’s or school’s vending machine?